Going to the gym is NOT going to help you lose belly fat. If you want to lose belly fat, here are a few fat loss hacks you can try.
First off, I’ve seen to many people dedicated to hitting the gym but struggle with what they put into their mouth.
You should be spending more time in the kitchen than the gym if you desire to have a flat belly.
I’m going to give you the BEST option first and after that I will give you some suggestions on other advance methods for fat loss
First rule to losing belly fat is to take in fewer calories and adjust your macros. Here’s a starting point.
If you are over 12% body fat follow this formula below for fat loss:
- Determine maintenance calories, then subtract 250–500 calories from maintenance = Body Weight x 14
- Your protein will be about 1g per pound of body weight
- Keep your carbohydrates at 1g per pound body weight on training days and 0.5g per pound of body weight on non-training days
- Fat will make up the remainder of the calories on training days and on non training days.
Meal Cadence For Weight Loss:
Here is a breakdown of meals in a typical food cycle for building muscle while staying lean.
Morning – Protein/Fat’s
Lunch time – Protein/Fat’s
Post Workout – Protein/Carbs (1 hour after training)
Second Post Meal – Protein/Fat’s
Before Bed – Protein Fat
Another alternative would be to get my 2500 meal plan on my blog atthat gives you exactly what to eat on non training days and training days using the right macros.
Here’s a few rules to follow when it comes to carbs:
Do not eat carbs in the morning. Upon wakening cortisol levels are high. When you eat a food high carbohydrates, you spike insulin.
High cortisol + Spiking insulin leads to fat.
Wait until the afternoon when cortisol levels come down to eat carbs.
Carbs are better eaten at night. See study here >
The above option works very well but if you suddenly hit a plateau you can try these fat loss hacks below: (WARNING: For Advanced Users)
Fat Loss Hack #1 Intermittent Fasting
Intermittent Fasting is a fat loss plan that is often misunderstood by those who have heard about it.
There are also many people who don’t know about this type of weight loss plan, as it is not as popular as most other methods which are focused on fat loss.
Intermittent fasting however, is one of the most natural means anyone can employ to lose fat and to stay healthy.
Intermittent fasting is done by skipping meals, this means that a conscious effort is made to eat only at certain periods of the day.
Once the window or time frame that you have chosen to eat has passed then no meals should be consumed. It is essentially a decision to skip meals.
How Your Body Utilizes and Process Food
When you eat, your body immediately begins producing energy from the foods you are eating.
If you have just consumed foods high in carbohydrates and sugars your body is even more receptive to these, as it prefers to use energy produced from these sources.
Your body will spend a few hours producing energy this way, instead of burning the fat that is stored on your body, this does not help with fat loss.
Insulin, The Body’s Most Powerful Hormone
When you are fasting however, your body will use the fat on your body to produce energy because there is no readily available energy from food.
So when you fast, you are in essence forcing your body during a period of your choosing, to use the fat that it has been stored to produce the energy it needs.
While fasting may go against the conventional wisdom that advises that you eat six small meals a day for weight loss, there is a lot of logic behind why this kind of approach to weight loss makes perfect sense.
When you eat, your body releases the hormone insulin in order to keep your blood sugar level safe.
Insulin carries any excess glucose that the body produces out of the bloodstream to your liver, your muscles or fat cell storage.
Insulin, however is a double edged sword because not only does it take sugar out of the blood, it also increases the amount of fat that is stored.
So when you diet by choosing to eat six small meals a day, as is often recommended, you are essentially giving your body license to produce a hormone that increases fat, six times throughout the day.
By fasting intermittently you select the window during which insulin will be released, herein lies the advantage spoken about earlier.
This essentially puts the power of weight loss fully in your hands unlike so many other methods.
Also, when you fast the amount of growth hormone released is increased while you are sleeping and in the period immediately after fasting.
This release of growth hormones helps you to grow and build strong muscles.
There are several ways to do intermittent fasting.
- A.M. Fast – You may choose to skip breakfast and only eat from midday to maybe seven or eight in the evening. Others may choose to eat only in a four or a six hour period.
- 24 Hour Fast – You may also choose to eat as you normally would and then not eat for twenty four hours after that.
- Two A Day Intermittent Fasting – With this method, one takes restricted amounts of calories during two days and normal eating is done on the other five days.
- Alternate Day Fasting – This method involves total abstinence from all kinds of food for 24 hours followed by 24 hours of normal eating.
As you can see, this is an extremely flexible approach to weight loss and it allows the individual to choose which approach suits them best.
No matter which approach is taken, it is still considered intermittent fasting.
By cutting some of your meals out of your daily schedule, you are essentially eating less to lose weight.
However, there is much more to it than that, when you avoid eating certain meals, you are able to eat more in the periods that you choose to eat and this will work to your advantage.
Once you understand how this type of food consumption works, you will understand why intermittent fasting will help you lose weight.
Fat Loss Hack #2 Cyclical Ketogentic Dieting
“When in the state of ketosis, the brain will prefer ketones over glucose. For the dieter this is good! The body will not have to break down protein for energy.”
Cyclical Ketogenic diets have great benefits for people who want a little more flexibility for consuming carbs on one day of the weekend or everyday, post workout only,
Another great advantage to cyclical ketogenic diets is when you have a carb load day you restore the levels of glycogen, therefore recovery can be improved over the following week.
The reason for this is that it takes a few days to deplete glycogen stores before your body goes back into ketosis.
This method also re-sets leptin levels in the body so that fat loss can continue due to the overfeeding of carbohydrates.
To be quite honest, this approach also gives people a psychological break from abstaining carbs or keeping ultra low carb throughout the week.
2 Examples Of Cyclical Ketogenic Dieting
- Evening Post Workout Carbs – The goal is to eat a high fat, moderate protein diet everyday at the start of your day. Towards the end of your day, the best time to consume carbohydrates is after resistance training between 3-7 p.m. which will increase muscular insulin sensitivity, specifically, high glycemic carbs. How many grams of carbs you should consume will all depend on your goals, but I would recommend anywhere between 300-500 grams.
- Once A Week Cheat Day – This method are for guys who are above the 12-15% body fat range and desire to drop fat quickly while maintaining muscle mass. Basically you’ll start your week with a high fat, moderate protein diet ultra low carb diet. You should only consume 30-50 grams of carbs towards the end of your day, after resistance training between 3-7 p.m. Continue this regimen for seven days. On your seventh day, you will continue to have your high fat, moderate protein diet for the first part of your day, as mentioned above. However, this time instead of consuming 30-50 grams of carbs after training, you’ll consume as many carbs as possible until bed time. After your 4-6 hour re-feed day, you’ll revert to the high fat, moderate protein low carb diet for another seven days, only consuming 30-50 grams of carbs post p.m. training.
Fat Loss Hack #3 Training Fasted
Many people think that training fasted is when your stomach is empty but it’s much more than that. It has a lot to do with how your body breaks down and absorbs food.
You can get in the BEST shape of your life doing
When you consume food they’re broken down into different kinds of molecules. These molecules are released into the blood stream and causes insulin to spike as well.
Insulin’s job is to shuttle theses molecules into the cell. Insulin levels can be elevated for several hours depending on how much food you consume.
As soon as you consume food your body processes and absorbs them resulting in being in a fed state. When your body is finished processing food, insulin begins to decline to a lower level or base line level.
Once insulin drops, your body goes back into a fasted state. So in a sense, your body goes from fasted to fed all day long depending on how much you eat throughout the day.
- When training in a fed state your body is still breaking the food down while insulin is elevated.
- When training in a fasted state your body’s insulin levels are low or at a baseline level.
Your Body Does Not Burn Fat While In The Fed State
When you consume food before hitting the gym, insulin is released and your body will use that food for energy.
If you are trying to lose fat it would be ideal to train in a fasted state as you’ll use body-fat for energy rather than the food you consumed an hour prior to training.
Think of it like this, if your body has a surplus of food before training it has no reason to use body-fat for energy to get you through your workout.
When food isn’t present and being processed it has no choice but to use the fat on your body to fuel your workouts.
If you have run into a fat loss plateau, these 3 hacks will help aid you into losing weight and fat again.
What’s important to remember is that these are NOT diets but rather lifestyle changes that are fun and flexible based on your lifestyle.
Give them a try and let me know how it goes!