So you are looking to torch some fat?
Let’s take 2 examples for comparison:
Jenny wakes up and has a bowl of raisin bran cereal at 730am.
Ashley wakes up and has a 1-cup plain non-fat greek yogurt, a handful of almonds and a 1/4 cup blueberries at 730am.
At 1030am Jenny’s stomach starts to grumble and she beings to get irritable… She thinks she’s hungry so she grabs a quick oatmeal breakfast cookie at work to hold her over until lunch…. but then she goes to the break room at 11:15 and demolishes a 2 donuts, which in turn makes her feel sick enough not to eat lunch.
At 330pm Jenny hits a wall… tired, irritable and sickly hungry. She skipped her lunch break so she has to hold off until she gets home at 6 to eat dinner… but then she opens up her drawer and spots a box of Hot Tamales, “Just a few,” she says to herself…
Do you see where I am going with Jenny’s situation?
Now let’s pop back over to Ashley:
After her protein filled breakfast, Ashley is good to go until a little hunger sets in at 11:15. Instead of going to the break room, she grabs a banana out of her bag an d this holds her off until Lunch.
At lunch, Ashley chooses a blackened salmon fillet with veggies and quinoa. This is plenty to hold her over until dinner.
So what’s the difference between what Jenny ate vs. what Ashley ate?
Now I know we are talking about the best fat burning food and I am getting to that…
When you are talking about fat burning foods, there are a ton of “opinions” out there. One of the best things you can do is fuel your body with high “thermogenic” foods as well as foods that will keep you fuller for longer.
Did you know your body burn 2x the calories when working to break down whole foods, fiber rich foods, than processed foods?
So in Ashley’s case, she had an amazing protein, fiber and omega-fat filled breakfast followed by another omega-3 fatty acid, protein loaded lunch.
In comparison, Jenny went straight for the processed cereal which ultimately set her up for failure right away… She didn’t have a chance after she falsely stimulated her dopamine receptors with processed grains (that turned into toxic sugar).
So in all fairness, Jenny was doomed from her first action in the morning.
When you are thinking about fat burning foods, think:
- All natural
- Protein Rich
- Antioxidant Rich
Here are a few examples…
1. Avocado & Cottage Cheese
Filled with important omega 3 fatty-acids, avocado is one of the best fats to FIGHT fat! Enjoy this super fast snack to give you an edge throughout the day.
- 6oz. non-fat cottage cheese
- Half Avocado
- Pinch of salt
- Pepper to taste
· Halve avocado
· Place cottage cheese inside.
2. Dark Chocolate and Chia
I think this will get your attention! Yes you can have your sweets and eat them too! Both dark chocolate and chia pack a HUGE antioxidant punch. Make sure that you are using at least 70% cacao dark chocolate!
Dangerously Delicious Dark Chocolate Chia Balls
Servings: 16 golf ball sized portions
· 1/2 cup almond butter (all natural)
· 1/3 cup raw honey
· ¼ cup raw cacao powder
· 1 tsp. vanilla
· 1 cup rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
· ¼ cup chia seeds
· ¼ cup dark chocolate chips & Pinch sea salt
· Combine: almond butter and honey in a small sauce over low heat….Stir in the cacao powder, sea salt and vanilla.
· Stir well until everything is meted and combined
· In a medium sized bowl stir together the chia seeds and oats
· Pour the sauce pan mixture over the oats and seeds . Mix
· Refrigerate the mixture for 5-10 minutes to set·
· Add in the chocolate chips and roll into golf ball sized portions…Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks in air-tight container
3. Shredded Veggie Salad Wrap with Chicken
2 tbsp. balsamic or apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. gluten free mustard
salt and pepper to taste
optional: thyme, oregano, or basil
simply whisk together all ingredients until smooth, or use a blender.
1/2 carrot, grated
1/2 cup cabbage, finely chopped/grated
1/4 beet, grated
1/4 cucumber, finely chopped
1/4 avocado, diced
4 oz. cooked chicken breast, diced
2 kale or lettuce leaves for wrap
• Place all salad ingredients together in a small bowl and top with dressing, mix together well.
• Lay out your kale or lettuce leaves and spread your chicken salad mixture evenly over the leaves, leaving enough room on one side to begin your fold. Roll up like a burrito, and enjoy.